Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Anniversary Week : Engagement

Getting engaged took long enough... we looked at rings in August, and weren't engaged until NOVEMBER! Ha, took him long enough... 




There were a few times when I thought he was going to propose before then, but they all ended up being false alarms. For example, Alex had asked me to take the day off work, and told me to dress warm and be prepared for a big surprise! How was I not supposed to think that he was proposing?! Haha the big surprise was going Ice Skating, (which I had never done before) and shopping and dinner at the Olive Garden (It was fancy for us at the time... haha). It was an amazing day, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I was a little disappointed that the night didn't end with the pop of a question and a sparkly thing. 



It took THREE more months until we had another date that I thought could result in an engagement. I suspected something was up, because Alex isn't usually SUPER excited about dates he plans, but this time he couldn't stop talking about it. He kept texting me all week, and telling me how excited he was for friday! 


He had planned a date to Fountain Hills (I told you we liked it there) and we picked up Chipotle and some Dr. Peppers on our way. I had a hunch that tonight was the night, but didn't want to get my hopes up. We enjoyed our dinner, and Alex had written me a sweet note telling me why he loved me (another big clue... he isn't one to write out his feelings...) It was amazingly sweet, and we enjoyed the fountain for a while, but then I was too cold to keep sitting there. It was November, and Alex hadn't told me to dress particularly warm, so I was in a denim skirt with tights, and a long sleeved top... Not too great for being out by a lake in winter. So I asked if we could just go back to one of our houses and watch a movie. His face immediately fell, but he said of course, and walked me back to the car. We drove home and Alex was weirdly quiet. I had a feeling that I had ruined his plans and I STILL feel bad about this. He did a great job at improvising though because he clearly had an agenda for that night, so instead of going home, we went to the park in my parents neighborhood. 


He parked and said, "We can't go home yet..." haha. He got me out of the car, and took me over to the ramada and asked me to dance. He started playing "Besame" by Camila and we started dancing, and he was singing to me, and I was melting into a puddle, because again, this NEVER happens. We kept dancing after the song ended and Alex kept talking to me and telling me things that he loved and admired about me. (seriously i'm getting butterflies right now just going back and thinking about this moment) We stopped and he looked at me and asked me if I could do him a favor. I said sure, and then watched him get down on one knee, pull out a ring box and ask me to marry him! I couldn't even wait for him to finish saying all the words before I was saying "Yes yes yes!" over and over again. I started crying and hugged him so tight. I was still hugging him when he asked, "Do you even want to see the ring?" haha I had been so excited, I didn't even look at the ring. But when I saw the one he picked I was so so happy. This was the first ring I had looked at and the only one that felt (and still feels) like MY ring. I put it on and couldn't wait to run off and tell our families. 



It was a perfect night, even if things hadn't really gone according to plan. 




Being engaged was amazing. I was so great to feel secure in my relationship and to have a goal that we were working towards. Wedding planning was fun and stressful, just like it should be. I think we really made the most of our engagement. We enjoyed every second. Alex will say that one of the most satisfying things was to see that ring on my finger and to know that I was all his, and that everyone knew it. 


I'm so thankful that Alex chose to spend his life with me. I've spent every moment since he got down on one knee trying to be a better person so that I can live up to everything that he sees in me. Alex is genuine and loving and kind and makes me laugh more than anyone. I'm seriously so lucky and there has never been an easier question to answer than when he asked me to be his forever. 


1 comment:

  1. Awwwww! I love your attitude and general reverence for your husband! Clearly, you two are in the best kind of love!

    But eek! August until November?! I would have gone crazy.

    Sue
    susanstange.com

    ReplyDelete