Monday, August 12, 2013

Nanny Diaries

So I have been meaning to get on here and write about so many different things. Some serious, some funny, some simply for my own enjoyment and remembering. But today I think should just be a generic update on life.

So, i don't know, but maybe something like 2 months ago my bosses told me that they were planning on moving and that they had found a great new house mansion in Paradise Valley. We quickly mapquested it, and i was shocked to find that my new commute was going to be approximately 55 miles each way; over 100 miles a day. Talk about stress. My bosses saw my face, and told me that we could talk about the details of the commute later, but that they definitely wanted me to continue to be their nanny.



Fast forward a few weeks. I had talked to them a lot about the commute and had decided that it was just going to be too much for me. They completely understood and said that they would hate for their worst enemy to have to make that commute, and that they would be shocked if i had actually continued to work for them. I suggested that they start looking for a new girl to take over for me. a feww weeks later and house is all packed up, they have the keys to the new mansion... and they have hired a new nanny. A girl named Sarah. They found her at a restaurant that they frequently visit. They had worked it out so that I could train her, and then she would take over for me once they moved out to the new house. Everything seemed to be going just fine. Except for the fact that nothing was fine at all. I would cry almost everyday. At work, on my way home, to my husband, to the girls, to my mom. Anyone who would listen knew how heart broken I was to be leaving the girls. I honestly felt like i was leaving a piece of my heart behind for no reason.

(Side note: Obviously i know that I will someday have to leave them to have my own family. But honestly that doesn't seem like something that is in our near future, so i hated the fact that I was going to be done working for them for seemingly no reason at all.)

Anyways, I knew that i had to come to terms with the fact that once Sarah was competent, I would be done. But she never really got competent. She was lazy all the time, forgetful and somewhat lacking in what i like to call 'street smarts'.  I could tell that  it was going to be a rough transition for everyone, but as much as I love this family, i didn't think i could make that drive everyday.

Fast forward through the training process. Its my last day, A wednesday, and i'm still feeling hesitant to leave for good. But I do. I say my teary goodbyes and promise the girls that I will be at birthdays and Christmas parties and that they can call me whenever they want. I told them how much i love them and walked out the door.

My in laws knew how upset i was by this whole scenario so they graciously invited me on their family vacation to the Grand Canyon. It was a blast and i am so blessed to have such wonderful inlaws that love me so much. We were having a great time, so i was concerned and shocked to see Dorian (my boss) calling my at 7:00 am on friday morning. I was greeted on the phone by a crying boss telling me that they NEEDED me back and that things with Sarah just were not working. Sarah had apparently left Kennon, 5 years old, alone in the pool the day before, and they had just found out that Sarah also has 5 DUI's on her driving record. All of this, mixed with the fact that she simply wasn't a good fit personality wise with the family, had made for a pretty drastic phone call.

I told Dorian not to worry, that I would be back on monday and that we can figure this whole thing out together. She said she was so grateful, told me she loved me, and hung up.

I immediately called Alex and we discussed the possibility of me making the commute to Paradise Valley everyday and all of the Pros and Cons that go along with it. And after much discussion and prayer we decided that with family this loyal and wonderful I didn't have a reason to be done just yet.

On monday when i arrived at work I was met with happy tears and a pay raise. They told me that they couldn't imagine life without me and that they wanted to do whatever they could to make it so that I would stay. I gladly accepted and told them that I always kinda had a feeling I would be back ;)

So now it has been about 3 weeks since I have been making the long commute, and honestly it isn't that bad. Sure getting up at 5:25 everyday isn't great. But the traffic isn't bad at that time so I can make it work in under 50 minutes which is way better than I anticipated. The raise helped a ton with gas money and then some! and i still get to see my babies everyday! so all in all i think things worked out the way that they should have.

I just wanted to keep everyone in the loop since i know i had mentioned before that i was leaving this job. :) but now you know, i'm just way to valuable of a nanny to lose!




I'm so so glad I get to stay with these munchkins for a little while longer!

3 comments:

  1. I'm SOOOO glad you didn't have to leave the girls! I know how heart broken you were, I'm happy it all worked out! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel so much better knowing that you are still in charge of those cute girls. I'm sure Chad and Dorian are happy to have you back but I'm also sure that they are unaware of everything they would have been losing out on if you weren't there. Every time I see you with the girls, I realize what an exceptional job you have done teaching them how to be sweet, smart, polite, well-mannered and obedient (most of the time) little girls. I'm proud of how you are RAISING them and not just babysitting them! Chad and Dorian and those darling girls are extremely fortunate to have you in their lives! I am also grateful and little selfish because I was going to miss being able to spend time with the three of you which I really enjoy! I look at it like it's "grandma-in-training" time! :)

      Delete
  2. I mean, just by the pictures you post on here you can tell you love those kiddos just as much as you would love your own! I'm so happy your bosses could recognize that!!

    ReplyDelete